My usual morning routine consists of me packing my work shoes and wearing flip-flops to work. I so love all my Teva flip-flops and try to limit my time in shoes that aren't flip-flops or tennies. I typically wear them all year round and until they breakdown and fall off my feet. My flip-flops are completely shaped to my foot by the time someone has to sneak them out and toss them. I also seem to have inherited my Grandpa's stinky, sweaty feet (I have assaulted Mike on many a car drive by silently slipping off my shoes - at first I didn't realize the floor vent would circulate the smell). So this morning I pack my work shoes and put on my beloved, 4-year old, pink strapped Tevas and head off to work.
It is 6:45 a.m. and I am walking in front of the Ridpath on my way to the Wells Fargo building when a woman gets out of an old truck. I don't think too much of if because this is dowtown Spokane we are talking about; however I do notice that she has no shoes, no jacket and no purse. She is dressed in what I would consider work clothes, but is stumbling and walks herself into the side wall of the Ridpath. When she realizes that I am behind her, she attempts to engage me in conversation which is as follows:
Her: Heeeeey. Okay. So. I went out last night and got drunk. Went home with some guys. My shoe broke and I threw it away.
Me: Uh-huh.
Her: Do you work down here in one of these buildings down here, because I am cold and I have nothing because I went home with some guys and now I have nothing.
Me: Uh-huh.
Her: Could I go to your office...OH MAN I AM SO COLD I have no shoes or coat...and like make a phone call or something because I went home with some guys last night and I have nothing.
Me: No. But here - and at this point I part with my old friends, the pink strapped, stinky, warped Tevas - you can have these.
Her: Uh??? Your shoes...
Me: Saying nothing...just keep walking toward office.
Her: Thanks????
Me: Silently holding a private, mental memorial service for my pink strapped, stinky, warped Tevas who will never be worn upon my feet again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment