Saturday, February 14, 2009

My passion for passion fruit...yes I LOVE food!

My passion for passion fruit started two years ago on a vacation to Hawaii. Passion fruit, or lilikoi as it is called in Hawaii is a purply looking fruit similar to the shape of a kiwi, with a leathery outer shell (see picture!). The insides are full of the most fragrant, beautiful, delicious, slimy, seedy fruit that most people would not touch (which is a blessing to me!!!) I can't begin explain the taste and smell to you - it is something you have to experience on your own. But to say that is one of my MOST favorite smells and tastes is an absolute understatement!
I have looked all over this town for passion fruit. Been to Huckleberry's Natural Market on several occasions and haven't found it. Well today, as you will read later, Mike and I are making an Asian inspired dinner for Valentine's Day. So, as we often do when it is just the two of us, we went to Huckleberry's to get some fresh ingredients (yes, I married a fellow food lover!).

LOW AND BEHOLD they had passion fruit (I KNEW I loved Valentine's Day!!!). We picked one up...hurried home...sliced it open...and OOOOOHHHHH!!!! I can't begin to explain the experience, but I will try. First, the smell hits you and I mean it is the SWEETEST smell. Then you look at the insides (shown above 3/4 eaten!) and think no way (well I don't). Then you run your spoon across it and all this beautiful juice is released and pools up and you drink it...oh so good! Next is the flesh of the fruit...some people don't like to eat the seeds -they don't bother me because there is so much flavor in the fruit surrounding them. Before I knew it my half was gone and the other half I had so graciously shared with Mike was gone too!
There you have it, my passion for passion fruit - what a wonderful surprise it brought to my day and what a fun thing to share with Mike.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

That's probably the most sensual explanation of a fruit I've ever read :) You're funny! I'm all in for Thursday ...