Monday, January 12, 2009

Book Review - Those Who Save Us


Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum

I loved this book - to me it was SO compelling and a fast read. I am amazed by what the human spirit can endure in order to protect the ones we love the most. This story is about a German woman who has a child with a Jewish man during Hitler's Germany and the struggles she goes through to keep her daughter safe, fed and clothed. It is a story that reminds that while the Jewish people suffered beyond comprehension...the lower class German citizenry were not treat all that well either. While their lives may have been spared, they were starved and treated poorly.

It is also the story of a daughter who knows nothing of her mother's past and really has no understanding of what was given up to protect her. She assumes she is the child of an SS officer and struggles to respect and understand her mother because of this relationship.

Without giving it all away, I thought it was a good read and would give it 4 stars out of 5.

No comments: